Friday, June 19, 2009

Going to Africa

As I went to work one sunny morn'
In this colourful capital city of the world
I met a man who had many thoughts
This man knew everything, I could've sworn
Was widely travelled and read, well taught
Tomorrow, he said to me, I shall see a wonderful vista
Sir, Where are you going tomorrow? I asked my new teacher
Tomorrow, he said, I am going to Africa.

In Africa there is no boundary
No nations, only one huge country
In Africa there is no water or food
Only little hungry children with flies and drool
There are no mothers, the fathers are no good
I think I'm going to get myself an orphan to boot
In Africa there is only one country
And its name is Africa.

I've been to Stoke, Sheffield, Scotland
I've read of Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan
No, I've never heard of Nigeria, Algeria, Ethiopia
Oh, I've used a map several times - why do you ask?
I know the Niagara falls in New York
And the Victoria falls in Africa
I know Mont Blanc in France
And Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa.

I could be a president, a prime minister - a politician
I could be a journalist, a paper columnist, a newscaster
I write to warn of the melting of polar ice caps
I fight for the conservation of trees and gorillas
How dare you call me ignorant?
I don't talk about space, aliens, Mars or Jupiter
Myanmar, China or North Korea
As much as I do about Africa.

©2009 by Genial

1 comment:

Tesleem said...

vescucci just loves this