Thursday, February 19, 2009

The everlasting Arms (1)

Teetering on the edge of the precipice
A sheer drop beneath
One look at the endless deep
A sure promise of death if I slip

But I feel so drawn to the edge
Two steps forward, one backwards
Sidling closer to a place of fewer words
But my mind still says - watch your step!

I press on, stretch my neck to see
My tongue to taste the nectar and all
the liquid of the velvety fall
Danger just a memory, it tastes so sweet

I start to lose my senses
Intoxicated by the taste that weakens my defences
Balance, balance! I will myself to stand tall
But slowly I begin to fall

As if in slow motion all I ever did flashes before me
The spectre, ever closer, of the unforgiving deep
Arms flailing, clinging to every last twine
Wildly swaying, silently battling to stay alive

Fingernails scratching at the side of the steep face
I try to end my fall - searching for any last hope at all
For a second I think maybe there is a place for my feet
Then it all gives way at the last moment - and I fall

A heart-stopping moment of existence
There is no balance - heaven and earth
transposed as the horizon moves to my feet
I fall, fall, fall - to a certain decease. I fall.

©2009 by Genial

2 comments: