Monday, December 3, 2007

My Father

Earth, wet, air, birth
Gasps, cries, my first breath
Upside down, mama's arms
You were my father, my stranger

When I would go to the school of pranks
You taught me how to use my hands
That service was the ruse to be leader
You were my father, my teacher

So I grew older, faster, smarter
But you grew older, slower, wiser
And soon, I learnt, when there was pressure
You were my father, my mentor

Though I have often made you sad
But with my heart, now I'm glad
It's not too late to let you know
You are my father, my hero.

©2007 by Genial

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sweet :)

Anonymous said...

i dont agree with bola's palate. actually, i find Waiting for Titi better than My Father. u create a sense of urgency with ur throw of words, like something rising up to a crescendo. that's interestin - reminds a little of walt whitman and his catalogue verses.

do keep it up, who knows?

Chudi Onwuaso

Genial said...

Chudi!! I am deeply honoured to have a visitor of your ilk. What more can I say, but that I would be glad to have you visit many more times!

Anonymous said...

i think this is a very good one,and clearly prefer it to the Titi thgy.
i believe simplicity in writing is the next level,and anyone that practises this,would in less time win the heart of his/her audience,except you are writing to yourself alone.
i think this is a great one.
keep it up, and simple too

Anonymous said...

i love this one

hey! that last stanza!

have i ever made my father sad? nahhhhh

boiling mad maybe,so angry he put a 2-headed koboko to my behind!

hey! i still love him,will always love him!

genial i dis-agree with danushki in talking to your self you talk to us all

great words i say!